New York – Day One

I had been putting off booking our trip to New York for so long. I am the worst flyer and just the thought of getting on a plane put me off time and time again. But in November, I eventually booked it for January – I thought that booking it so close to going would help me get over the nerves of flying but I was wrong. So wrong. For ten weeks, getting on that plane was all I could think about, to the point of contemplating cancelling it altogether. But somehow, I did it. I still had a huge panic while we were waiting to board and I still cried as we were taking off – but after that, I was fine. I managed to relax and I even watched a film. I felt a bit uneasy during some turbulence but I was so much better than I used to be when flying. I have never been so relieved to have spent an entire flight in my seat watching Friends and Mamma Mia than in the toilet having a panic attack. And on the flight back, there were no panic attacks and no tears – don’t get me wrong, I still don’t like it but to not have to spend my whole holiday dreading the flight back was amazing. I actually managed to enjoy the entire week without even thinking about flying home.


We landed at Newark airport at around 12 noon on the 12th of January (we stayed for 5 nights), and we got an Uber to our hotel. We stayed in the Paramount Hotel and we were pretty much in the centre of Times Square – I don’t think we could have tried to get a more perfect location. The hotel was a beautiful, contemporary hotel with the most stunning lobby. The staff were so friendly and were always so helpful. We stayed in the Broadway Classic room – it was quite small, but it is a boutique hotel and when you’re staying in somewhere like New York, you never really spend much time in your hotel room anyway. We were really pleased with our room. The bed was super comfy and it was perfect for what we needed.



We were so hungry by the time we had arrived and checked into our room. There was a Shake Shack opposite our hotel so as soon as we had checked in, we headed to get some food. After waking up at 3am to go to the airport and not being able to eat because I was so nervous about flying – oh my goodness, food had never tasted so good! Shake Shack was on my list of foods to try and I was SO impressed.


We didn’t do too much on our first day, we wandered around Times Square for a bit and had a walk around the area we were staying. We got to grips with the area and came up with a plan of action for the following day. I also didn’t want to do too much on day one and wear myself out for the next day – I suffer with Arthritis and Fibromyalgia and just the eight hour flight on its own was more than enough to do me in. That being said, I also wasn’t going to let that get in the way of me doing what I wanted while in NYC.


We went back to the hotel for a little bit to warm up as it was SO cold. It was -4 pretty much the whole time we were there and it was impossible to stay warm! After we finally warmed up, we went back out to see Times Square at night and it was just amazing. The perfect way to end our first day in New York.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s